Thursday, January 28, 2010

Romeo and Juliet in Art IV: The Duel

"James William Wallack (c. 1794-1864) as Mercutio. Romeo and Juliet, Act III, Sc.i. Full Length, standing.James William Wallack. Tybalt, who is a Capulet and Juliet’s cousin, picks a quarrel with Romeo, who does not want to fight him. Mercutio, a friend of Romeo in furious; and joins the quarrel. Artist : Crowley, Joseph, Nicholas (1819-1857)"
ROMEO
I thought all for the best.
MERCUTIO
Help me into some house, Benvolio,
Or I shall faint. A plague o' both your houses!
They have made worms' meat of me: I have it,
And soundly too: your houses!
Exeunt MERCUTIO and BENVOLIO
ROMEO
This gentleman, the prince's near ally,
My very friend, hath got his mortal hurt
In my behalf; my reputation stain'd
With Tybalt's slander,--Tybalt, that an hour
Hath been my kinsman! O sweet Juliet,
Thy beauty hath made me effeminate
And in my temper soften'd valour's steel!
Re-enter BENVOLIO
BENVOLIO
O Romeo, Romeo, brave Mercutio's dead!
That gallant spirit hath aspired the clouds,
Which too untimely here did scorn the earth.
ROMEO
This day's black fate on more days doth depend;
This but begins the woe, others must end.
BENVOLIO
Here comes the furious Tybalt back again.

ROMEO
Alive, in triumph! and Mercutio slain!
Away to heaven, respective lenity,
And fire-eyed fury be my conduct now!
Re-enter TYBALT
Now, Tybalt, take the villain back again,
That late thou gavest me; for Mercutio's soul
Is but a little way above our heads,
Staying for thine to keep him company:
Either thou, or I, or both, must go with him.

TYBALT
Thou, wretched boy, that didst consort him here,
Shalt with him hence.
ROMEO
This shall determine that.
They fight; TYBALT falls
BENVOLIO
Romeo, away, be gone!
The citizens are up, and Tybalt slain.
Stand not amazed: the prince will doom thee death,
If thou art taken: hence, be gone, away!
ROMEO
O, I am fortune's fool!
BENVOLIO
Why dost thou stay?

Exit ROMEO



"Dictionary of Literary Biography on Edwin Austin Abbey At a time when the art of book and magazine illustration was at its zenith, Edwin Austin Abbey was recognized as one of its most distinguished masters. Perhaps the most popular and successful artist of his day, Abbey's genius as an illustrator, principally of William Shakespeare's works and English songs and tales, is derived from his crisp and refined pen-and-ink work and from his devotion to historical research and authenticity. "

8 comments:

  1. Love the illustrations! Who did the one below the line "This day's black fate on more days doth depend"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good at researching this art! And- no matter which photo or painting you look at..Romeo is drop-dead gorgeous;
    Thanks Lizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cool post Lizzy - I love the way you formatted it!

    And I totally agree with Lucy - Romeo is hunky! I really like the one that Susan is asking about. Romeo looks like Joseph Fienes (they guy that played Dudley in the movei, Elizabeth). Hunk fo sho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you placed the pictures amongst the lines. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan that is a neat one hu? It is by the photographer Annie Lebowitz (not sure if I spelled it right). I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it, it just screams the emotions of the story.

    Lucy, Allie had to help me on this one I had a hard time finding some of these. Once she helped me I ended up finding some of the other on my own. I know he would not be Romeo if he was not drop dead handsome.

    Thank you Amy the format was a hard one when you have so much in it going on. I wanted to do art history on it but I could not really find any history on the pieces so I decided it would be better for the people who have not or did not remember the actual words in the duel. YOU KNOW I LOVEEEEEEE JOSEPH FIENES, so freaking hott! Hunk fo sho!

    Thank you Heather trying to be creative and it actually worked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great art work! I have to say that I really did not like the 1996 version of R & J and a lot of that was due to John Leguizamo as Tybalt =O( and I didn't like the modernized version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My computer's been acting up, and I was only able to see the images on this post today. But what a clever, exciting idea for a post! I love the images and words you chose to tell the story. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle, I have to agree I loved the movie but I did have an issue with Tybalt. The crazy part was it was filmed in Brazil I think and I thought that was kind of weird.

    I have a post coming up soon on the movie be sure and check back on it in a few days.

    Robin thank you I am glad you approve . I thought it was only natural to add the original context to really grasp the feel of the duel and how important it is in Romeo and Juliet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...