Friday, May 13, 2011

Royal Barbies and More Great Beauties

"Carrying a handcrafted porcelain pair of roses, Barbie® doll is the height of royalty as Marie Antoinette who became the Queen of France when her husband was crowned King Louis XVI in the 18th century. She wears a regal blue gown and matching bodice that is embellished with touches of golden lace. Draped with golden fringe, the generous layers of her extravagant gown are decorated with golden tassels and hide her full-length pantaloons and the blue satin ribbons on her shoes. A matching hat topped with feathers completes her ensemble. She wears an extravagant rhinestone necklace that complements her dramatic ensemble". Amazon: Marie Antoinette Barbie
"The last of the Tudor monarchs, Queen Elizabeth I is considered one of the most successful and popular British rulers in history. Her reign lasted until 1603 and this Elizabethan era was considered a “Golden Age” in English history. Elizabeth’s subjects called her Glorianna and Good Queen Bess, as she was enormously popular. Elizabeth I liked to wear lavish gowns and opulent jewels and her court featured stylish entertainment. She was beloved during her reign, and, after her death, she became a legend. Barbie® doll pays homage to this extraordinary monarch dressed in a sumptuous gown inspired by Elizabeth I. Elaborate jewelry and a golden headpiece lend an air of regal sophistication". Amazon: Queen Elizabeth I Barbie
Elizabethan Queen Barbie, Amazon: Elizabethan Queen The Great Era Collection
 Empress Josephine Barbie, "Empress Josephine Barbie doll wears a regal outfit inspired by historical records. The empire-style gown (not removable from doll) is made of satin, embellished with golden braid and hemmed with golden fringe. A rich red, velvet robe is beautifully embroidered and is lined with printed, faux ermine. The jewelry suite includes faux pearl earrings, two double strand bracelets, and faux pearl necklace further accented with crystals. The silvery crown and tiara also feature crystal embellishments. Golden shoes with painted print complete this imperial beauty. Less than 4,500 units worldwide". Amazon: Empress Josephine Barbie
 Empress Sissy Barbie, "Get ready for a royal treat. It's a Limited Edition Barbie doll, inspired by Empress Sissy of Austria's Habsburg-Lothringen Dynasty. Her costume was recreated from a 19th century painting and features a fitted satin bodice, decorated with sequins and beads and lavish golden braid. The back of her gown is hand sewn with tiny "faux pearl" buttons. From her lace trimmed pantaloons and shoes, to her delicate fan, to her dark braided hair accented with rhinestones, she's every bit an Empress". Amazon: Mattel Barbie Doll - Empress Sissy - Kaiserin - Austria - World Culture Dolls
 Faberge Imperial Elegance Limited Edition Porcelain Barbie Doll, "Handcrafted in fine porcelain bisque, FabergéTM Imperial EleganceTM Barbie® doll wears a regal gown of rich blue satin with a golden lamé underskirt. Both are lavishly embroidered with over 50,000 stitches and accented with over 175 hand-sewn gleaming Swarovski® crystals. 22K gold-plated latticework adorns her stunning, egg-shaped evening bag, which opens to reveal a miniature Swarovski® crystal heart. Her elegant faux pearl choker, golden and crystal drop earrings and dazzling tiara covered in 22K gold-plate add to the splendor that makes this one of the most glorious Barbie dolls ever. Hand numbered in 22K gold and limited to a worldwide production of 15,000 units. She is the first porcelain Barbie doll to use the Mackie head mold". Amazon:Faberge Imperial Elegance Limited Edition Porcelain Barbie Doll
Madame du Barbie, "Madame du Barbie doll captures the majesty and opulent elegance of the eighteenth century royal court of France. Her gown is a breathtaking confection of ice blue brocade with bead and jewel-embellished rococo embroidery. The coiffure and headpiece are appropriate for the most elegant of royal occasions". Amazon: 1997 Barbie Collectibles - Bob Mackie Madame du Barbie
Princess of Ancient Greece Barbie "Princess of Ancient Greece Barbie Doll wears a rippled, copper-colored dress called a "chiton" that flares at the bottom. A square sheer wrap decorated with a golden Grecian pattern is pinned at her right shoulder with one of two golden pins that are shaped like a lion's head. She wears a golden serpent arm cuff and completes her outfit with a golden laurel crown atop her curly dark brown hair, worn up in a classic Grecian chignon. Doll measures approximately 12 inches tall. Amazon: Dolls of the World The Princess Collection: Princess of Ancient Greece Barbie
Princess of England Barbie, Amazon: Dolls of the World: Princess of England Barbie 
Princess of the French Court Barbie, Amazon: Dolls of the World Princess of the French Court Barbie Doll
 Princess of the Danish Court Barbie,  "Part of the Dolls of the World "The Princess Collection," Princess of the Danish Court Barbie doll rules proudly. She wears a stunning light blue and ivory gown decorated with lace and a golden bow. Her shimmering blonde hair is upswept, and dangling golden earrings, a golden ribbon choker and a regal crown show her royal station. This collector's edition doll makes a beautiful addition to any Barbie enthusiast's collection. Doll measures approximately 12 inches tall". Amazon:Barbie Dolls of the World - The Princess Collection: Princess of the Danish Court
Romeo & Juliet Barbie " Barbie comes with: gown, chaplet, necklace, shoes. Ken comes with: tunic, cloak, leggings, belt, dagger, cap, slippers, 2 doll stands & Certificate of Authenticity. A 1997 Mattel production". Amazon: Romeo and Juliet As Barbie & Ken Mattel Barbie Doll Set
"Inspired by the romance and passion of Camelot, Ken and Barbie dolls are featured as a couple that legends are made of - King Arthur and Guinevere. Barbie as Guinevere is spellbinding in her full-length slate-blue medieval-style gown featuring long, flowing sleeves and crimson and metallic golden accents. A headpiece of delicate burgundy and golden netting with faux pearls adorns her cascading strawberry blonde hair. Dressed as King Arthur, Ken is clad in a crimson cape and matching velvet tunic with an embroidered lion's crest. A suit of golden "armor" -- including gauntlets and greaves -- and a realistic "sword" on his "leather" belt offer an authentic glimpse of the medieval warrior". Amazon: Ken and Barbie Doll As Camelot's King & Queen, Arthur and Guinevere
 Princess of the Korean Court Barbie,  "Inspired by Korea's historically traditional costume, the Princess of the Korean Court Barbie wears a hanbok in the beautiful colors of spring. It is customary to celebrate Sol Nal, New Year's Day, on the first day of spring, which is also the first day of the first month of the new lunar year. It is a happy day of joyous celebration and honors the heritage of the princess and her family. Doll measures approximately 12 inches tall". Amazon: Mattel Princess of the Korean Court Barbie Doll
Maiko Barbie "This is the exclusive brunette version of the 2006 Hard Rock Barbie, aka Hard Rock Barbie #4, that was only available at Hard Rock stores/gift shops. Includes a special, exclusive Hard Rock Cafe collector pin, too. Take a good look at the pics - this version has DARK hair". Amazon: Barbie - Maiko - Gold Label Edition 
Empress of the Golden Blossom Barbie "The "magic" of Asia comes to life with Empress of the Golden Blossom Barbie doll. The doll wears an opulent gown of pink and golden brocade, inspired by a glorious fantasy of exotic Chinese costume. The noble peony motif is elegantly featured in the lush fabrics. A golden headpiece crowns the intricate hairdo, decorated with lovely faux flowers and birds". Amazon: Empress of the Golden Blossom Barbie Doll Limited Edition 4700 or less!
Cleopatra Barbie "This striking portrayal of Barbie doll as Cleopatra captures the nobility of a divine queen. She wears a dazzling cape and skirt with exotic green and black design, featuring a golden rope embellishment. Her extravagant headdress lends a regal air with its ornate design with scarab and cobra details. The faux jewel and golden earrings, dagger, and scepter reveal the pharaoh's exotic origin. History and striking elegance meet to create an extraordinary doll". Amazon: Barbie Doll - Cleopatra Barbie Doll Le 5400 Egyptian Barbie
Elizabeth Taylor Cleopatra Barbie, Amazon: Barbie (1999) Elizabeth Taylor (Cleopatra)
French Lady Barbies "FRENCH LADY BARBIE THE GREAT ERAS COLLECTION IN ORIGINAL BOX A REAL FIND FROM 1996 DISCONTINUED ITEM" Amazon: French Lady Barbie Mattel
The Bard Barbie, Legends of Ireland Amazon: Barbie Legends of Ireland Limited Edition the Bard
The Spellbound Lover, Legends of Ireland Amazon: Barbie Legends of Ireland Collection The Spellbound Lover
Grecian Goddess Barbie "Protector of Ancient Athens. Goddess of wisdom. Beautiful beyond words. Meet Grecian Goddess Barbie doll from The Great Eras Collection. This Collector Edition doll, fashioned after the goddess Athena, wears a white pleated tunic, decorated with golden laurel leaves, and cinched at the waist. A royal purple cloak adds contrast and color to this ravishing beauty. Her hair is charmingly styled in clusters of blonde ringlets around her face and gathered into one curled ponytail. From her iridescent sandals to her elaborate headdress and long rooted eyelashes, she's definitely the high priestess of fashion. For the adult collector, age 14 and over". Amazon: Barbie 1996 Collector Edition - The Great Eras Collection - Volume Seven - Grecian Goddess
Aphrodite Barbie, "Second in the mystical series by designer Linda Kyaw, Barbie Doll as Aphrodite looks positively luminous in a fitted and flowing sea foam green and cream gown with incredible detailing. Shell-like accessories add to the doll's heavenly allure, as does fantastical face paint, rooted eyelashes, and gorgeous tendril-styled blond hair". Amazon: Barbie Exclusive 2009 GOLD Fantasy Series - APHRODITE
Athena Barbie "Strong, capable, and wise, the goddess Athena allegedly leaped from the head of Zeus, already adult, dressed with her armor. Barbie® as Athena wears a stunning suit of golden armor including head piece, breast plate, boots, and shield. Beautiful and bold, she's a fashionable force to be reckoned with. Designed by Linda Kyaw". Amazon: Barbie Athena Doll Gold Label
Medussa Barbie "Ancient myth and contemporary fashion combine to create a magical doll. Barbie doll as Medusa wears a green corset and chiffon fishtail skirt. Long, auburn curls play against the golden snake arm cuffs and necklace, which foretell the serpents that will become her hair". Amazon: Barbie Collector MEDUSA Doll
Faerie Queen Redhead Barbie, Amazon: 2004 Legends of Ireland Faerie Queen Redhead Barbie Doll
 The Goddess of Beauty Barbie, Amazon: Goddess of Beauty Barbie
The Queen of Hearts Barbie, "Curiouser and curiouser... Alice, the Mad Hatter, and the Queen of Hearts are on a whimsical fashion adventure in Wonderland! This fresh, modern take on the classic characters inspires unique accessories: Alice comes with a Cheshire cat; the Queen comes with a "flamingo" croquet mallet and "hedgehog" ball; the Mad Hatter has a teapot, cups, and saucers. Dolls cannot stand alone. Collect them all; each sold separately. Queen of Hearts Barbie measures 12". Amazon: Queen of Hearts Barbie

For more on Historical Dolls:
Collecting Historical Dolls by Mary Harrsch
The Doll Genie

Amazon Collections:
Search Amazon.com for great era barbie
Search Amazon.com for Dolls of the World - The Princess Collection
Search Amazon.com for legends of ireland barbie
~Lizzy~

25 comments:

  1. Fabulously glam post! I love Barbie dolls and this could definitely kickstart a collection. But the difference in prices is staggering - poor Empress Sissi! Compared to QE 1's $2,000 tag she's almost a pauper. ;-)

    Thanks for posting! Now I'm off to check my credit card balance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! These are amazing... never knew I would still want to purchase Barbie dolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Cleopatra and the Empress of the Golden Blossom. The Empress reminds me of the Curse of the Golden Flower movie I loved. Also awesome are the Aphrodite and Medusa Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Loved looking at all these pictures. My faves were Cleopatra and Empress Sissy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathie, so so true poor Sissi I am sure it has to do with the amount of how many were made. Sissi is a beautiful one for sure. Happy shopping some of them are not too high if you did through them all.

    Svea, that makes two of us I was never one to collect any type of dolls but Brandy Purdy told me about the Elizabeth I, Josephine, and Marie Antoinette one and I just had to check them out. From there it was kind of a snow ball effect. They all are so so so pretty but if you collect them you have to have a safe place for them and I doubt that would be possible in my kid home LOL.

    Allison, you read my mind I LOVE that movie and the cinematography for it is beautiful. I saw the barbies and they all reminded me of that movie and the geisha one reminds me of Memoirs of a Geisha.

    Rosanne, there actually are a few different Cleopatra's it was hard to pick just one for the post.

    If I had to pick I would say Madame Du Berry and the queen of hearts are my favorites plus just because my husband and kids are Korean the Korean princess is super pretty. I have a traditional outfit just like hers for my daughter and it is hot pink too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these! I collect dolls and I actually have the Princess of the Renaissance and the Princess of Imperial Russia Barbies. I still have them in the boxes and I display them that way, but with the box open. I've wanted to get little stands for them, but haven't got around to it yet. I got them for a song too...a lot cheaper than they are on Amazon. Not sure if I'll ever be able to afford to get more at Amazon's price, although I sincerely covet the Queen Elizabeth I and Marie Antoinette dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heheheeee Michelle your are hilarious, I love them too and I tried to find the renaissance Princess on Amazon but got side tracked by so many others ones. She was very pretty though, how cool author Brandy Purdy has the Marie Antoinette and Elizabeth I one I think. I never saw them in store but then again I was never looking for them either. Pretty for sure and if I ever see new ones I want one LOL. Have fun with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so gorgeous! Almost makes me want to start playing with dolls again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these are absolutely outstanding. I can't get over how fabulous these are - the Cleopatra, the Faerie, the Goddess, Queen of Hearts... how would you ever choose just one?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never had a Barbie doll, they were a bit after my time. I never really wanted them. My girls played with them a bit, but weren't consumed by them like so many young girls are.
    However, looking at this selection of dolls, I think I've changed my mind. I could easily ask my husband to build a showcase that takes up one whole wall in our family room, and have every one of these. I looked them up on Amazon and choked when I saw the prices for Queen Elizabeth I and Marie Antoinette. My husband informed me he loves me but he's not spending $2,000 on a Barbie doll.
    Thanks for an enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! who knew!
    Madame de Barbie - now THAT is hysterical.

    When I look at Princess of the Vikings all I can see/hear is the Bugs Bunny cartoon of Bugs in the Brunhilde costume from Rings of the Gotterdammerung

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patty, hehe you like that LOL it just happens to be my favorite one too. The pictures do not do her justice. LOL so so so true I remember that episode. Did you know a brand new loony toones airs tonight on TV?

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOps I jumped the gun and did not get to the previous comments.

    Marg, I agree I want to play with them all too. I bet you we would give collectors a heart attack LOL.

    Bonnie, I can not and there are so so many more I could not even begin to add them all. Honestly it is like I never have seen any of these in stores for sale. It is like they are were made at some illusive Barbie factory.

    LibraryPat as usual you are so hilarious, I love your comments. Okay so here is the down low on the barbies: Amazon is really really expensive by far the higher price. There are some other sites this one in particular has an Elizabeth I (255$) and Marie Antoinette (255$) http://www.wowdolls.com/limited/womenroyalty.htm

    Maybe you might change your mind back now that the price changed LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute!! I love the Madame du Barry one. I want all of them! When I have a daughter someday, I think it would be so fun to teach her about history via Barbie Dolls!

    Hope you don't mind if I link to your post in my Sunday Salon, Liz. It's just so very fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Allie, Good way to get a girl to like history LOL. I know what you mean I want them all too. Of course I do not mind and I will swing by and check it out if it is still up on your page. Glad you enjoyed this one Allie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Somehow I'm just finding this post now! I've only seen the Marie Antoinette Barbie before (and have coveted her!) but I've also never seen her for much less than about $1200, and that's just not happening. I did find another company's Marie Antoinette fashion doll with a porcelain face and fancy costume that I bought on ebay for about $120 and her face is very beautifully handpainted and the costume is very detailed. The one the MA Barbie wears is based on one of MA's real gowns (if you Google MA you'll see a painting of her in the blue dress from the mid 1770s or so). What cracks me up is that they put the MA Barbie in the infamous diamond necklace (which of course the queen never bought or owned or wore!)

    I love the redheaded Faerie Queene Barbie ... actually I love just about all of them in this post, Liz. Where'd you find all these amazing dolls?

    But ... so many of them don't really look like Barbies to me because it's not Barbie's face, so it's sort of pushing the envelope on Mattel's part to still insist it's Barbie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Author Brandy Purdy gave me a heads up on the Elizabeth I and MA one. My search took off after that. I think Mattel did have some out there ones but I kind of think they meant to do it that way because many many of these dolls are super expensive. I think Madame Du Barbie is the most elusive of them all. I think they are fun to look at but can dream about them. I am glad you found this one Juliet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very very interesting site for we history buffs. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Rhonda that is kind of you. It makes me want them all but I still really want Du Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post, ton of fun...a blithe follow-up to the death mask post I read about first! So happy I found your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dauphine, LOL hilarious Dauphine defiantly some off the wall stuff here. I am glad you found me too. Hopefully you will enjoy the posts in the future too! Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love to read and reread this post! I happened to be a Barbie collector/history buff and have most of the dolls you list here, including the coveted Marie Antoinette and her sisters Elizabeth I and Empress Josephine. They weren't cheap of course, but certainly worth time and trouble of getting! The details are stunning! I suggest you check out other exquisite Barbie dolls like the Mademoiselle Isabelle, Lady Camille, Duchess Emma, Mint Memories and the breathtaking Orange Pekoe dolls. Not to forget the other 2 Faberge Barbie dolls the Imperial Grace and the Imperial Splendor. Your eyes will surely pop out of your head when you see them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Paulus I will have to check those out. I can across so many I liked it was hard to pick my favorites. I still really want Madame Du Barry she is so pretty. Happy reading Paulus I am glad you enjoy my post so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lizzy,
    I'm glad you found my photo useful for your blogpost. I actually found my own photo pinned from Pinterest with no credit, and I'm sure it was an oversight. You're welcome to use any photos from my Flickr account, if you like, but I'd really appreciate credit when possible, or a link back to www.fashiondollreview.com. If you'd rather not, that's fine. I think you can find Mattel's promo photo on BarbieCollector.com (check in the archives under Designer dolls, Bob Mackie). Thanks for your consideration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Alison Thanks for the interest in my post. I am sort of confused on which picture is yours though. I got all of these images from Amazon awhile back in 2011.... at the time they were all up for sale, all the links go to the original amazon listings. I love your current work they are absolutely stunning works of art. You are very talented <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...