Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Book Review: CLEOPATRA'S DAUGHTER by Michelle Moran

I have come to notice that many people do not know that Cleopatra had children. Queen Cleopatra's dramatic exit from this life is more well remembered than her children. Cleopatra has always been a favorite historical figure of mine. The mother that committed suicide rather than bend to Romes rule a true Queen of Egypt. Forgetting that she left behind children that lost everything including their country by the hands of the Romans. What uncertain path lay before them? Would they survive being taken to Rome or really would they survive the game of being involved in the roman elite circle?

Selene and her brothers were taken to Rome after her mother death. As part of the Roman take over of Egypt. She went physically willing but not mentally. She was a gifted artist who shared a passion with her father Marc Anthony of architecture. She was educated in Egypt and would continue her education in Rome. Her education gave her an advantage in Rome. She knew that things were not right in Rome politically speaking and it made her uneasy. The part I think she was most uncomfortable with was the slavery and corruption with in the city. Living in a world that was not her own feeling heartbreak after heartbreak. I felt complete sympathy for her. Losing not just her mother but her father then her little brother on the way to Rome. She deserved happiness but there was none to be had in Rome.

A glimmer of hope arrived in the form of a "rebel" know only as the Red Eagle. He was like the Robin Hood of Rome, freeing slaves, and standing up for to the injustices the government had pulled off. He called to the people to stand up for what is right. He even saved Selene herself at one point from a mad bull who would have stomped her to death. Selene's curiosity would lead her to suspect everyone including the man she loved that did not love her in return. In a world that was dramatically ever changing would Selene ever find her place or would she be lost in the corruption like so many others had? Or would the red eagle change everything for better or worse?

5/5 Muse rating. Michelle wove a tragic story of a child's loss into a story of finding ones own self. I loved this book with it's vivid story of what it meant to be a Roman and live a Roman life. The best part for me was the detailed descriptions of the buildings in Rome and Egypt.

9 comments:

  1. I'm loving this one too, Lizzy:) You wrote a lovely review! Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is in my TBR pile. Maybe I should move it further up in my stack! I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Moran once, and she is the sweetest lady you'd ever want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timidly, I admit I'm one of those who didn't know Cleopatra had children. This books sounds crazy fascinating. Trekking from Egypt to Rome, political turmoil, a Robin Hood figure, what's not to love?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice review, Lizzy! I loved this book. I like how you compare the Red Eagle to the Robin Hood of the ancient world. Great analogy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this great review Lizzy. I am looking forward to reading this one later this month. I think I will also enjoy the descriptions of the Roman architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed this one too, Michelle wrote so fluidly I was entranced the whole way through.
    I see you are reading Receive Me Falling, & I was hoping to get to that one soon but alas! too many other obligations right now. I will await your review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Egyptian anything and I did not know she had children either. I am right there with you Rosemary. I knew she had a son with Caesar but not with Anthony.

    I loved that it is a twisting and turning story where you never knew what was going to happen next. Thank you Allie it was the most fiting way to explain such an interesting character.

    Marie, OMG I started it last night and it is really good so far. I was kind of unsure about it but that feeling is gone now that I am on pg 56. It is not my typical style but it is really working for me. I think because slavery was such an issue in Cleopatra's Daughter going to another novel set in a slave plantation time frame makes it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. I really want to read this book! I love everything about Egypt and the history of it. Reading a novel about Cleopatra's daughter sounds to me like heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me too I have a collection of Egyptian statuettes that I have been meaning to take a picture of for everyone to see how much I love Egypt too! I even have Egyptian tattoo's.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...