Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mailbox Mondays

Another wonderful Mail Box Monday. The funny thing about Mondays for me is that books never show up in the mail box on actual Mondays. Okay well I take that back I did get a BRAND new book this Monday but that was at the store "Costco". That was by chance though, I had to exchange some stuff there and everything I saw was not right for me. I really wanted a new pair of pants but then "The Books" saw me and I saw them from there is was over. I have been eying this one for some time, its cover is very enticing. The book I actually almost completely paid full cover price for is..

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova
"Psychiatrist Andrew Marlowe has a perfectly ordered life--solitary, perhaps, but full of devotion to his profession and the painting hobby he loves. This order is destroyed when renowned painter Robert Oliver attacks a canvas in the National Gallery of Art and becomes his patient. In response, Marlowe finds himself going beyond his own legal and ethical boundaries to understand the secret that torments this genius, a journey that will lead him into the lives of the women closest to Robert Oliver and toward a tragedy at the heart of French Impressionism. Ranging from American museums to the coast of Normandy, from the late nineteenth century to the late twentieth, from young love to last love, THE SWAN THIEVES is a story of obsession, the losses of history, and the power of art to preserve human hope."

Mind you this picture of the book cover does not do it justice. It is stunning with gold embossed text, a unique matte paper cover, and a solid gold glossy spine. Once I laid eyes on it the attraction was magnetic.

I also received in the mail from the publisher "Claude and Camille" and I am pleased to say I got the second cover below. I like both covers and the first one is the final version. The one with the human people is the Arc.
"Behind every great artist stands a woman driving him to inspiration, aspiration, and desperation, according to Cowell (Marrying Mozart), who bases her latest novel about an artist and his muse on the life of Claude Monet. Beautiful bourgeoise Camille Doncieux leaves her family and fiancé for Monet, whom Cowell depicts early on as a rebellious young man trying to capture in his paintings fleeting moments of color and light before he matures into the troubled genius whose talent exceeds his income. In an art world resistant to change, Camille remains Monet's great love as he and fellow unknowns Renoir, Pissarro, and Bazille struggle to make ends meet, but, eventually, parenthood, financial pressure, long separations, career frustrations, and romantic distractions take their toll, and even after Monet finally achieves commercial success, the couple still faces considerable difficulty. While glimpses of great men at work make absorbing reading, it's Camille who gives this story its heart. A convincing narrative about how masterpieces are created and a detailed portrait of a complex couple, Cowell's novel suggests that a fabulous, if flawed, love is the source of both the beauty and sadness of Monet's art."

My sister also bought for me at a local rummage shop,

The India Fan by Victoria Holt
Bride of Pendorric by Victoria Holt

Goodwill
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant
Elizabeth by David Starkey
Marie Antoinette, The Journey by Antonia Fraser

footer sig

8 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to get this one!!! My post is up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, for a moment there you had me checking my calender to see what day it was. I like the idea though. And i like the second cover for Claude and Camille. I hope you enjoy your reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, excellent reads! I've been thinking of reading The Swan Thieves and I used to love Victoria Holt! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good books and for once I have several of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha Ha Brooke it got you too!

    Bookventures Confession this is a 2 week one. I always get behind, I had banished myself to reading lately and with good reason.

    B.R. I love Holt my favorite was My Enemy the Queen about Lettice Knolly's, such a great read.

    LibraryPat, very nice let me know if you get to some of them before me. It is looking like a log way off from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very luckywith your rummage and second hand books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to find a goodwill out here!!
    Those are some awesome finds!
    And hey, who needs new pants anyway? Buy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Mystica I hope it will not take forever to get to actually reading them.

    Ha Marie great minds think alike. I could clothe myself in books LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...