Sunday, August 02, 2009

Sundays Art: Elizabeth I of England


Called inaccurately Princess Elizabeth of England, the later Queen Elizabeth of England I, at the age of three (right), at the age of five (left) and at the age of six (middle), daughter of King Henry VIII of England and Anne Boleyn, 16Th century, Elizabeth I. The fashions are of the 17Th century long after Elizabeth died. Artist unknown.

Procession portrait of Elizabeth I of England by artist Robert Peak the Elder.

I love these two works, the first for it showing the phases of Elizabeth's growth as a child, it really helped me visualize her as a child. Long and lanky even as a child. The second shows her in all her glory and it is the softer side of her during the time of her procession. It is no wonder Robert Dudley loved her so much she is so beautiful in this portrait.

7 comments:

  1. I agree that the second prtrait of her makes her sweetly regal. she's more surreal than anything..absolutely of another world; which would explain her suiting the role of Queen so majestically well. Thanks for these portraits, never seen them before:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found both of them under a strange category that was not even in the right place on wiki. I got more coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Ma'am! Queen Elizabeth I.
    476 years old today. And folks are still talking about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a big post scheduled for tomorrow for her b day, be sure to check it out. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the second picture. it shows Elizabeth in all of her glory. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the 2nd one. It shows Elizabeth in all of her glory. Beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know she sure did have a regal vibe and she had exquisite taste in all things. Clothing, jewels, books and men, robin in particular.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...