Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sundays Art: Pre-Raphaelites Briar Rose Series 1884-90

Painted by Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones 1833-1898
The fourth and final panel is a Pre-Rapaelite I am uncertain if the whole series is but it does meet the nature aspect of the Pre-Raphaelites brother hood. Burne-Jones also received his inspiration from a written work. Charles Perrault's classic fairy tale "The Sleeping Beauty" was the literary link for what has been deemed his most important work. After looking at all of them together and closely: I would have to say they all qualify as a Pre-Rapaelites.












"The Council Chamber"












"The Garden Court"












"The Briar Rose"

4 comments:

  1. Aren't these just beautiful! The Sleeping Beauty is another one of those 'essential' fairy stories that tells us so much about ourselves.
    How many of us merely slumber through our lives until we are awoken with a kiss? That moment when we realise someone cares for us - it can be so powerful. Then, with all that inspiration and motivation, what amazing things we can accomplish!
    Everyone looks beautiful when they are in love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what qualifies something as Pre-Raphaelite is the painter, and not the subject of the painting; and Edward Burne-Jones was certainly a Pre-Raphaelite painter.

    These are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen these - they're gorgeous! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very eloquently put Robert. Love is a beautiful aspect of life. I just wish I could see these for myself. They have to be magnificent when all the panels are together. I imagine them to be really big.

    I am glad you all enjoyed them as much as me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...