Monday, February 22, 2010

Fact Checking the Island of Murano

During my read of "The Secret of the Glass" by Donna Russo Morin I found myself not really grasping the exact location of the island of Murano. I knew it was close to Venice but just how close?

After doing so checking afterwards I did come to the conclusion that the history is accurate in The Secret of the Glass. All the glassmakers in Venice were forced out of their homes in 1291 because all buildings then were made of wood and the people feared that the extreme heat would eventually burn everything to the ground. They really reached a high point on the island around the 14th century.
"By the 14th century, glass makers were allowed to wear swords, enjoyed immunity from prosecution by the Venetian state and found their daughters married into Venice’s most affluent families. Of course there was a catch: glassmakers weren't allowed to leave the Republic."
I think the island has such a unique history that it makes it a charming and all enchanting place at the same time.

Interior of Santa Marie e San Donato church with famous mosaics
The City
LinkToday on the group page is also a interview with the lovely Donna Russo Morin be sure and check it out and there is a giveaway going on too which you do not want to miss!

Here is what has been going on so far for this wonderful event:
February 20thAnnouncement & opening of Giveaway at HFBRT.
February 21st - Book Review by Arleigh at Historical-Fiction.com, “The History of the Venice Canal System and How it Works” by Susie at All Things Royal
February 22ndBook Review by Heather at The Maiden’s Court, “Fact Checking the Island of Murano” by Lizzy at Historically Obsessed, Interview Questions with Author at HFBRT

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Lizzy! Now when I start the book in a few days I will have a better picture in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I didn't actually know where the island was either - and I never bothered to look it up. Thanks for the info Lizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in Venice a few years ago and had the choice of going to either Lido or Murano. I picked Lido and it was just breathtaking! If I ever go back (crossing my fingers!) I'll definitely stop by Murano.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked up several maps while reading TSOTG to see visuals... it's one of those places you hear about but can't really see in your mind's eye. That mosaic is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the map. I had a general idea of location (Italy) but not the exact proximity of Murano to Venice. I actually didn't realize Venice Was so far from the mainland. Love the church.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Lizzy! There is so much to Venice that one can never get enough (that't me for sure). That mosaic is precious- I've been there ans seen it..it is absolutely grand and breathtaking. Thank you so much for writing about this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also had a really hard time picturing where it was so I felt this was the best choice for my creative post.

    Rosemary I wish I could say I have been Venice. I imagine it a heart stopping beautiful place. I would love to go to Murano now that I have read the book.

    I am glad you all enjoyed the visuals it is really hard to picture when you have no idea where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job checking the facts!! This book looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to Rome several years ago, and remember going into a shop that sold Murano glass. They also sold other glass pieces that had some other label on it, and the shopkeeper kept telling me, "Oh, that's Murano, too, they just farm out some of their work to other shops." I was very suspicious of his statement, and after reading Donna's book about how distinctly held the glassmakers were, well, all I can say is.....Hmmmmmmm. (I never bought any glass at all in the shop because I was so confused!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. inthehammock, it was an interesting read, completely not like anything else I have ever read. My review is coming soon.

    Christine, that sounds lame. How disappointing but on the other hand maybe you really did not want to pack that glass half way back across the globe for your trip home. I would break it. Many of you do not get to see me in the flesh but if you did you would be shocked at what a klutz I am. I trip over my own feet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just read another historic fiction novel based on Murano, "The Glassblowers of Murano" by Marina Fiorato. It was a fabulous book. I have had the fortune to visit Venice with my dad 12 years ago and it was heaven, though we did not see Murano. I hope to return w/ my husband some day because it definately is a city for lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Diane, I actually was looking at that book. I have her new one Botticelli Secret sitting here but just have not had a chance to get to it. Must investigate further.

    I bet it was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting. It's great when you can get a visual (at least a map visual) of a location in a book. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a visual kind of girl and I just could not set the read in my mind until I had a map, it was all like "oh I get it". Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...