Thursday, December 17, 2009

Booking Through Thursday: Biggest Catch Up Ever!

I know I have so fallen behind on this it is not even funny. With the move and all I had to cut back on a bunch of posts and this one I just did not have the time to get to until now. I have many weeks that I missed the questions on so here we go!

12.10.2009 Mark the Spot

What items have you ever used as a bookmark? What is the most unusual item you’ve ever used or seen used?
Cards that books come with have become a norm for me. But my favorite has become a "trading card" that was made for the release of "Royal Affairs: A Lusty Romp Through the Extramarital Adventures that Rocked the British Monarch". On one side it has the books details and the other it is king Charles II. The part I find interesting is the details: his nick name, birthday, death, vital statistics, and my favorite part that he Ennobled 17 of his illegitimate children. It makes me snicker to myself every time with out fail when I open my current read. He was such a bad boy I swear like a historical Hugh Hefner.

12.3.2009 But, What About Me?
But enough about you, what about ME?
Today’s question? What’s your favorite part of Booking Through Thursday? Why do you participate (or not)?
I find it enjoyable that it give me a way to reach out more to others in the reading community. Every once in awhile it draws it a new person or two that might choose a different genre because of a recommendation here. I just enjoy getting feedback as far as what others are reading and posting about the book responses. There is an abundance of variety in the group as a whole. Which is very enjoyable, thank you for hosting it!


11.26.2009 Thankful Thursday
It’s Thanksgiving in the U.S.A. today, so I know at least some of you are going to be as busy with turkey and family as I will be, so this week’s question is a simple one: What books and authors are you particularly thankful for this year?
I am thank full that our family was able to purchase our first home this year. We love our new home and it has changed our lives. Living in our old home we were very unhappy with the situation. So much so that it began to affect our daily lives. I just thank goodness that I do not have to wake up every morning to the stupid old neighbor behind us, her 4 dogs 3 being basset hounds would howl all day long because she left them outside. Starting at 7 am everyday for years. I think that was enough to stress out any normal human being. In the first week of the new house every morning my husband would say to me laying in bed, "Do you hear that.....nothing.....silence....no dogs". No more barking dogs or howling dogs here.

11.19.2009 Posterity
Today’s question was suggested by Barbara: Do you think any current author is of the same caliber as Dickens, Austen, Bronte, or any of the classic authors? If so, who, and why do you think so? If not, why not? What books from this era might be read 100 years from now?
Well I am unsure I think if I had to pick any author that was of that caliber it would have to be Jean Plaidy. Just because she has written so many novels and every single one of them I have read they not only are logical but historically logical. I still have not finished Pride and Prejudice, I am having issues with finishing it. My brain just can not comprehend what they are saying, it is like my dyslexia kicks into over drive with her.

11.12.2009 Too Short?
Suggested by JM: “Life is too short to read bad books.” I’d always heard that, but I still read books through until the end no matter how bad they were because I had this sense of obligation.That is, until this week when I tried (really tried) to read a book that is utterly boring and unrealistic. I had to stop reading. Do you read everything all the way through or do you feel life really is too short to read bad books?
I give up on them because after reading other people responses to worst book ever I will never again force myself to finish a novel. If it is that bad then i just call it a wash and move on there are way too many other books I want to read that I do not have time to waste on bad ones.

11.5.2009 It's All About Me
Which do you prefer? Biographies written about someone? Or Autobiographies written by the actual person?
Depends on how good it is I would have to say biographies because if I wanted to read it from their point of view I would rather read a fiction one because then it gives the emotion behind the actions.

10.29.2009 Blurb
Suggested by Jennysbooks: Something I’ve been thinking about lately: “What words/phrases in a blurb make a book irresistible? What words/phrases will make you put the book back down immediately?”
I know but I am going to have to do it! There is just one word that I just can not stand in a book that always really pushes me away instantly. You say what is the word? Well it is crude and can be considered a bad word even to date. The more modern version of this word is very explicit. So I will try to lay it out with out being too nasty. It starts with a C next is U then two N's and you can guess the last letter. I have just found that authors that feel a need to use this word are just not to my taste. I think it is a waste of a word.

3 comments:

  1. Lizzy, thanks so much for spotlighting my bookmark trading card! That's one of a set of three (collect 'em all!) trading cards that my publisher designed for ROYAL AFFAIRS. The others feature Edward VII (with details on his life, nicknames, etc.) and one of Edward's mistresses, Alice Keppel, who also happens to be an ancestress of Camilla Parker Bowles.

    Rumor has it that when Camilla first met Prince Charles, she sauntered up to him and said "My great-grandmother and your great-great-grandfather were lovers; how 'bout it?" Obviously, he took her up on her seductive suggestion!

    The bookmarks for NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES are pretty cool, too (thank you, NAL art dept!) There's only one design, but in the spirit of the ROYAL AFFAIRS trading cards, there are dishy little details about the 2 people featured on the bookmark: Henry VIII and the Empress Josephine. Their marriages are profiled in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on moving into your new home. I hope everything settles quickly for you as they say that moving is the one of the most stressful events in a persons life. A few years ago we moved into our brand new home just a few days before Christmas and it was crazy and stressful, but exciting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Leslie Arleigh from Historical-fiction sent it to me in a X-Mas card. Very cool I am on Notorious Royal Marriages right now. I am at Isabella and Ferdinand of Spain. Loving it so far like I knew I would. Thank you SO much!

    I did forget about Camilla, raunchy, I am a Dianna fan here.

    Stressful and exciting at the same time we got the keys the day before Halloween and it has been a mad house since but now that the holidays have come things are starting to settle. My husband and I decided no presents this year we are living in the new present and man do I love it!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...