Much has been written and portrayed about the marriage relationship of Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. Here are historical facts about their lives together from about.com
- Ages at Wedding: Marie Antoinette was 14; Louis XVI was 15.
- Wedding Date: On April 19, 1770 Marie Antoinette and Louis-Auguste were married by proxy in the Augustine Church in Vienna. Marie Antoinette left for France two days later. She crossed the border into France on May 7, 1770.
- On May 16, 1770, their French wedding was held at Versailles in the Chapel Royal.
- Her wedding dress was decorated with diamonds and pearls.
- After a formal dinner and the blessing of their bed by the Archbishop of Reims, Marie Antoinette and Louis-Auguste were escorted to their bedroom. They did not consummate their marriage until August 1777 according to a letter she wrote to her mother on August 30, 1777.
- Marie Thérèse Charlotte about Marie Antoinette after Louis XVI's death: "She no longer had any hope left in her heart or distinguished between life and death."
- PBS about Louis XVI: "Louis XVI was the first French king in two hundred years not to have a royal mistress."