Sunday, December 12, 2010

Early Mailbox Mondays

Secrets of the Tudor Court: By Royal Decree by Kate Emerson

Signed finished copy.

"AS TEMPESTUOUS AS THE TUDOR MONARCHS THEMSELVES, THE SECRETS OF THE TUDOR COURT SERIES HAS BEEN CALLED “RIVETING” (BOOKLIST) AND “WELL DRAWN” (PUBLISHERS WEEKLY).
 
Charming. Desirable. Forbidden. Brought to court with other eligible young noblewomen by the decree of King Henry VIII, lovely Elizabeth “Bess” Brooke realizes for the first time that beauty can be hazardous. Although Bess has no desire to wed the aging king, she and her family would have little choice if Henry’s eye were to fall on her. And other dangers exist as well, for Bess has caught the interest of dashing courtier Will Parr. Bess finds Will’s kisses as sweet as honey, but marriage between them may be impossible. Will is a divorced man, and remarriage is still prohibited. Bess and Will must hope that the king can be persuaded to issue a royal decree allowing Will to marry again . . . but to achieve their goal, the lovers will need royal favor. Amid the swirling alliances of royalty and nobles, Bess and Will perform a dangerous dance of palace intrigue and pulse-pounding passions.

Brought to glowing life by the talented Kate Emerson, and seen through the eyes of a beautiful young noblewoman, By Royal Decree illuminates the lives of beautiful young courtiers in and out of the rich and compelling drama of the Tudor court".


Lily of the NileLily of the Nile by Stephanie Dray

"To Isis worshipers, Princess Selene and her twin brother Helios embody the divine celestial pair who will bring about a Golden Age. But when Selene's parents are vanquished by Rome, her auspicious birth becomes a curse. Trapped in an empire that reviles her heritage and suspects her faith, the young messianic princess struggles for survival in a Roman court of intrigue. She can't hide the hieroglyphics that carve themselves into her hands, nor can she stop the emperor from using her powers for his own ends. But faced with a new and ruthless Caesar who is obsessed with having a Cleopatra of his very own, Selene is determined to resurrect her mother's dreams. Can she succeed where her mother failed? And what will it cost her in a political game where the only rule is win-or die"?



The Darling Strumpet: A Novel of Nell Gwynn, Who Captured the Heart of England and King Charles II by Gillian Bagwell


Finished copy, my arc was cover-less. I was so hoping they would send me a final copy.

 "A thrilling debut novel starring one of history's most famous and beloved courtesans.

From London's slums to its bawdy playhouses, The Darling Strumpet transports the reader to the tumultuous world of seventeenth-century England, charting the meteoric rise of the dazzling Nell Gwynn, who captivates the heart of King Charles II-and becomes one of the century's most famous courtesans.

Witty and beautiful, Nell was born into poverty but is drawn into the enthralling world of the theater, where her saucy humor and sensuous charm earn her a place in the King's Company. As one of the first actresses in the newly-opened playhouses, she catapults to fame, winning the affection of legions of fans-and the heart of the most powerful man in all of England, the King himself. Surrendering herself to Charles, Nell will be forced to maneuver the ruthless and shifting allegiances of the royal court-and discover a world of decadence and passion she never imagined possible".

footer sig

8 comments:

  1. Secrets of the Tudor Court looks amazing!! Addig to my wishlist now...Enjoy your new reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently checked out these three books too. I'll be curious to see what you think. I've shied away from the Tudor stories because I've read so much about it recently. I'm trying to branch out. I decided to host a Historical Reading Challenge for sub-genres. Begins Jan. 1 but is open all year long (2011)

    Anyone interested? Please stop by, check out details, sign up. Love to have ya!

    Here's the link: Historical Tour de Genre

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate Emerson always has the most beautiful covers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All three books sound like winners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're giving me some great ideas for Christmas. I'd love to read all of these books. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer, I am reading it now, I LOVE that series it is so so so good. What is unique about Emerson's books is that they focus more on side lining characters in the Tudor court. It makes for interesting reads.

    Pricilla, I was beginning to wonder about my mailbox there was a whole week where nothing came and then bam everything came at once.

    Charlie, really that is what is great about Kate Emerson is not that she writes about the Tudors but that all her books focus on more side players. I think if you like the Tudors and still want to branch out the series is a great way to revisit the Tudors with out re-reading the same stories over and over. I am so burnt out on Tudors but Secrets of the Tudor Court series is the only Tudor related reads I can manage anymore. Thank you for sharing I would love to enter but I am shame faced in the fact that this past year I entered into at least 5 challenges and sadly was not able to keep up with them all. This year I am not doing any of them because I can not keep up with the link inputs there are just way too many for me.

    Brooke, how nice to see you back! I will check you out too.

    Alaine, oooh you are so right and they are always embossed on the front which is so so pretty. I am so happy because this time around I got a final copy.

    Librarypat, winners for sure. I waited so long for Emerson's but I think Lily of the Nile will be an interesting read. It has been a long time since I have gone to Egypt. I am really looking forward to it.

    Meljprincess, that is awesome I love giving books as presents. I am hoping I get some for X-mas too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...